Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
justafan
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
E-PL1 shadow details
8 months ago

I know it's a phased out body with a dated sensor, but the shadow details can be a bit unpredictable even in okayish lighting.

I got this sample while shooting blackberries in the garden

This is almost straight from camera (Oly 35mm Macro via adapter), with RAW developed in Olympus Viewer 2 with +2/3 EV. If you look at the black berry in full resolution, you will see the bits in shadow are really sketchy. Playing with Gradation options wouldn't really help. Disabling the NR in software would render the shadow grainy, though with just a touch more detail. Is this normal with this body? Are there any solutions to this problem? I'm definitely not upgrading the body at the moment, since it hasn't even reached its shutter count puberty, and is used primarily as a second body when my E-P1 is mounted with the 20mm pancake. (Okay, I don't have the cash to burn.)  What's more, given all the limitations of the 1st gen m4/3 sensors, I still think the colour rendition is very pleasant.

Thank you in advance!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow