Started Aug 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TitusXIII
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?
GR weird vignetting when shooting High Cntrast B&W
Aug 22, 2013

Got my GR yesterday, so far I like everything about it except for accidentally hitting the EV compensation lever (and it's been happening quite a bit, I have average size hands).

So, I took it for a test shooting to the High Desert town of Pioneertown, California.

I tried different settings amongst which was the High Contrast B&W.

Here's one sample of a fence, SOOC Jpeg, I slightly raised the shadows in CS5:

Nothing out of the ordinary.

However, trying a few shots of the mountains in the background, while raising the camera to the sky the images are heavily vignetted.

As you could see from the above shot the lens was pointing away from the setting sun.

Below are two sample shots. In both cases the RAW files are perfectly fine, needing no adjustments at all, with plenty detail in both shadows and highlights. And no vignetting, of course.

So now, I just took the camera outside (It's just before 8:00 AM here), and same situation occurs.

One interesting additional detail:

In the two shots below, the camera was tilted about 45 degrees to the vertical. Just now I tried a few shots with the camera pointed straight up at the sky, the vignetting is less pronounced but it now occurs at the bottom of the frame.

Has anybody else experienced this anomaly?

If not could you try duplicating my experiments?

What gives?:

I left the OOC Jpegs untouched for both shots, the lack of shadow detail and blown highlights are not an issue.

This one is the worst of the bunch.

Edited for this comment:

I don't know if DPR has the hiccups again, the first vignetted shot is showing/not showing.

Please let me know if you can see all three images.

Titus

TitusXIII's gear list:TitusXIII's gear list
Pentax Optio W90 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot S110 Ricoh GR Nikon D80 +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow