Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,508Gear list
Like?
Re: Can't believe people are defending Nikon
In reply to photoreddi, 11 months ago

photoreddi wrote:

Bing Chow wrote:

I am blown away by the low standards some of you set for a company with as much accomplishments and history as Nikon.

We don't hear D700, D3 owners bitch about dust. Why? Is it because every D700/D3 owner has already surrendered and has found better things to do? Do D700/D3 owners have more realistic expectations? Do D600 owners have unrealistic expectations? Or maybe it's because the D700 and D3 bodies are better engineered against contamination and the D600 really do have problems.

I'll tell you why. The initial D600s had problems with oil spots on the sensor which was fairly difficult to remove with the regular cleaning tools.

It was easy enough to wet clean, but who want to do that weekly?

That led to enough threads discussing the problem that people started "pixel peeping" (the other kind) like they hadn't with the D700/D3. So after the oil spots became less of an issue, people were still intensively searching for dust and debris, and they found some.

No I had an initial oil spot issue on my D700 as well. One clean and it didn't return for 6 months. My D600 test had 3 visible spots at F4 within a week of purchase, and over 100 at F16.

500 shots after a full clean, it was exactly the same as before. This repeated 3 times even after Nikon replaced the mirror box.

If the same size dust particles were on a D700/D3 sensor and a D600 sensor, if you zoom in enough to see individual pixels, the magnification used for the D600's images is greater than that used to see the D700's images, so the dust particles appear larger and are easier to notice.

So the dust on D700/D3 sensors was not only harder to see, there wasn't a similar oil problem that whipped D700/D3 owners into an oil/pixel_dust_peeping frenzy.

Nice theory, so why is my D800 perfectly OK?

Dust shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure the OP has better things to do than shoot blank walls and come here to whine. I'm sure he would rather NOT have to do it.

I agree that most D600 owners would rather not have dust on their D600's sensors, but having found some, it sure seems they're here to whine for the duration.

Since you have no direct experience, why are you commenting? Do you think it's acceptable?

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow