Non-electronic lens adapters and auto exposure?

Started Aug 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tony Rogers
Contributing MemberPosts: 567Gear list
Like?
Non-electronic lens adapters and auto exposure?
Aug 22, 2013

I have been considering buying a Nikon 300 f/4 lens to use with micro four thirds. My current camera is a G3 but I might switch to E-M5, E-P5 or E-M1 so as to use five-axis IBIS.

Anyway, I have been looking at adapters to allow Nikon lenses to be mounted on m43. These adapters have no electrical contacts so aperture and focus must be set manually. Several of the adverts for adapters point out that automatic exposure control is only available in Aperture priority, which puzzles me a bit. I have tested my camera without a lens attached and it seem to be true.

Obviously in Aperture priority, the camera will set the shutter speed and, if Auto-Iso is selected, the Iso. In Shutter priority, the camera cannot set the aperture but it can still meter the light. I rather hoped it would set an appropriate Iso if Auto-Iso was selected but this doesn't seem to work on my G3.

Does anyone know if all m43 cameras behave in the way or can some set Iso in shutter priority mode when using none m43 lenses via an adapter?

Tony Rogers's gear list:Tony Rogers's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow