J1/V1 + 18.5mm f1.8 vs RX100 low light performance?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
nigelht
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?
Re: J1/V1 + 18.5mm f1.8 vs RX100 low light performance?
In reply to IVN, 11 months ago

IVN wrote:

RX100 and II only have f/1.8 at 28mm (FF equiv.), which doesn't give them any advantage*. At 50mm (FF equiv.) the lens is considerably slower.

Ergo: in most situations, where you need a fast lens, a N1 camera with the 18.5/1.8 will utterly destroy the RX100.

*wide angle lenses are usually used for subject matters for which max. aperture is not important. Whether I have a 28/1 or 28/8 when shooting land and cityscapes makes no difference. On the other hand, whether I'm using a 50mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/4 when shooting people after dark makes all the difference in the world.

I've been in a gym situation where the 18.5mm has been too long and I simply couldn't zoom with my feet to frame the shot. The dancers ended up close to me and I was already against the wall.

In most situations where I need a fast lens I'm either so far away I want more reach than the 10-100mm gives me (theater) or I'm close and I want a shorter zoom because the distances are changing on me.

More often than not (now that I bought one) I'm reaching for my 10mm f2.8 and not the 18.5mm indoors. I like the 18.5 a lot but there have been times I've needed wider.

I'd buy a 10.4-37.1mm f1.8-4.9 Nikon 1 zoom in a heartbeat for $600.

So I disagree that wide angle lenses are usually used on subject matters where max aperture is unimportant.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow