Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
technotic
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?
Looking for first studio lights
8 months ago

I've been looking to get some lights for studio work for a while. I've narrowed the choice to two. The first are A/C powered mono-lights and the other are battery powered. Both are about 1000 quid UK for 2 lights (no modifiers which I'd need to add to which ever lights I choose). The pros and cons as I see them:

A/C powered:

* More powerful

* Shorter flash duration

* Takes standard S type modifiers

* Faster recycling

* Can't be used on location

Battery powered:

* Can be used anywhere

* Probably powerful enough for me

* No modelling light

* Can use S type modifiers with adapter

Both types use the same radio triggering system (they are the Lencarta SuperFast and Atom Portable bare bulb lights if that helps).

My question is: for someone starting out which is better? To me it comes down to do I want a modelling light or do I want to be flexible on location. I don't have a studio so I need to be portable and the option to shoot outdoors just about anywhere appeals. I want to shoot children and families mainly. I don't have much experience but did rent some gear a while ago (A/C powered) and did an event and also did the same with speedlights. Both went OK but I'd like to get my own gear and practice.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow