ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lattesweden
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
The things you mustn't do
Aug 21, 2013

Hi!

If you do not use the latest gear you will not get the greatest pictures I have read both here and there. Actually it almost seams that if you don't have FF bokeh, noiseless ISO 25.600 and a dynamic range of at least 14 steps on your camera, it's not even an idea to go out.

But if you do take out your compromised and hardly useful m43 camera, you shall never shot with anything smaller than f8, maybe just to be safe use f5,6 due to diffraction biting and chewing up your pictures.

You shall also never shot into the sun, you will get chromatic aberations and lens flares and all sort of problems that will prevent you from having the perfect picture.

So I mounted an old Makinon (yes Makinon) 28-200 mm zoom made for the Minolta MC/MD mount (pre 1985) and hooked it up on my now old Panasonic G1 from 2008 attaching it with a Fotodiox lens adapter that converts the mounts. This is a cheap adapter and I had to fix it first since it wasn't properly assembled when I got it but a screwdriver and some good working light took care of that problem. Due to the crop factor of the m43 sensor this lens becomes a 58-400 mm zoom fully manual both aperture and focus. And the G1 does not have focus peaking. This can never go well, can it?

This is how the thingie looks:

And this is the outcome:

The plane on its final approach to land at Bromma airport just outside of Stockholm city is shot just after a rain shower when the low standing sun came out through the clouds. I had to go down to f22 to be able to shot into the sun with ISO 100 and 1/2000 shutter speed. At f22 you are supposed to get so much diffraction so that it isn't useful the experts say but I apparently forgot to listen to them and just made the shot anyway...

The market value on a G1 and a Makinon zoom is probably less than a spare battery for the GX7 but it is lots of fun.

Which ones are your best legacy gear shots?

Best regards from Sweden!
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
If it can capture an image I will use it to make pictures. My gallery is at: http://500px.com/anderslattermann

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow