qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,117Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you still by the 5D Mrk III?
In reply to TGM123, Aug 21, 2013

TGM123 wrote:

All,

I primarily shoot sports and portraits.

They are two very different areas.  Sports are not really FL limit as you always can find a longer lens to overcome pixel density disadvantage from a FF camera.  In other side, FF is much better in portrait photos than crop.

Looks the new 7D II is only a matter of time at this point.

Not going to happen until next year or be late around mid year next year.  5DIII is present and is quite capable for sports or fast action photos.

While I don’t put too much stock in rumors, they seem to have been coalescing around better ISO performance, higher MP (20-24), 10FPS, “high grade” weather sealing, and a improved AF system (5D III like) and at a price point about $1000 cheaper than the 5D III:

http://www.canonwatch.com/rumor-canon-prototyping-various-sensors-for-the-eos-7d-mark-ii-24mp/

7DII likely will based on 70D 20mp sensor or a newer APS-C sensor but still no way can compete to 5DIII in high ISO or even in low ISO when view in big size that determined by SNR (signal to noise ratio).  Canon FF cameras 5D3 and 6D are still much better than the best APS-C cameras from Nikon D7100/D5200 in sharpness, fine details and high ISO when view in big size.   It will be faster and you can use shorter and cheaper lenses nevertheless.  But 7DII will be no 1DX, not just from IQ but from actual performance perspective (not fooled by paper spec).

I am trying to decide if I should wait for the 7D II or go with the 5D III. Before these specs started gaining more credibility, I was going to pull the trigger on the 5D III but…alas…I have doubts.

So, IF these stats end up being correct, would you still want to buy the 5D MrkIII for what looks like will be an extra $1000 if you were are sports/portraits shooter?

It seems you can wait a bit.  Then you can find a $2500 5D3 body in the coming holiday season.  You just miss a $2500 5D3 body deal from BVI two weeks' ago.  I bought a brand new $2500 5DIII body in the last Black Friday with USA warranty card and all original OEM items included and very happy after these months.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Good luck for your next purchase.

Thanks,

Tom

-- hide signature --

www.tommarronphotography.com

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow