ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Iso1975
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?
Panasonic GX7 samples vs Olympus OMD
Aug 21, 2013

Hi to All!

I came from a Pentax K10D, an old but great camera (if we don't mention AF and medium-high iso's), and bought myself a Panasonic G3.

I really love the Panny, especially where the K10D used to fail in AF and high iso's (and also size and weight), but I never got to get the fine detail, in specific situations, that I got from the APS-C sensor from the K10D.

With the GX7 coming out I thought that the improvement would be huge in IQ and I would finally be getting that fine detail, but when I was browsing the samples I got totally disapointed. I saw this portrait from a girl and the eyes were not at all sharp, and general IQ on the other pictures was not on a so higher level compared to the G3.

But then I thought, "well, since everyone is raving about the OMD's IQ, let me also check a portrait from the samples". And when I did I was just blown away!! The eyes were super sharp, even sharper if the picture was taken with the K10D.

I was amazed with the difference in fine detail between the GX7 and the OMD!!

Of course you can say that the lightning was different, the lenses were different and even the photographer was different, but the truth is that although all those circumstances being different, I guess that it would not justify such a huge difference in IQ...

Here are 2 100% crops from both images + links

GX7 - http://masters.galleries.dpreview.com.s3.amazonaws.com/2657029.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=14Y3MT0G2J4Y72K3ZXR2&Expires=1377082141&Signature=FVYp9WW9nK6onga7VVAtfSktmF8%3d

OMD - http://masters.galleries.dpreview.com.s3.amazonaws.com/1915801.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=14Y3MT0G2J4Y72K3ZXR2&Expires=1377082346&Signature=SktAddSkvNpOD9ht6S6rHLfdDGs%3d

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow