Who's image is better, Carsten Krieger's or mine?

Started Aug 20, 2013 | Polls thread
Mikhail Tal
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
Re: Who's image is better, Carsten Krieger's or mine?
In reply to RobertSigmund, Aug 20, 2013

RobertSigmund wrote:

Mikhail Tal wrote:

John Motts wrote:

Mikhail Tal wrote:

santamonica812 wrote:

First version: Low saturation, and to my eye, a realistic representation of what the photographer was looking at. Not a terribly interesting image, but unobjectionable.

Your first attempt: Simply dreadful. An above poster used the word 'cartoonish,' and that probably fits better than anything I could come up with. The horrific overcooking was a poor processing decision . . . it's one of the worst-looking images I've seen in recent memory. (I'd never give this sort of feedback sua sponte, but you did specifically ask for our reactions.) The later, toned-down versions were much much better.

Honestly, when I first looked at your first attempt, I thought you were joking, and that you were poking fun at people who don't know how to use any restraint in their post-processing. I feel a bit bad, and a bit ashamed, now that I know you were making a good-faith effort to make the original photo better. Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I guess it's a good thing that what appeals to one person will repel another.

Don't let my feedback (or any of the other negative feedback) discourage you. We were all beginners at one point. And once you have a few months of photographer, and of post-processing, under your belt, you'll never make this sort of mistake again. We were all there once . . . and luckily for those of us with a few years under out belt, our train-wrecks of early experiments were done in private, and were well before the widespread nature of the internet. I'd hate for anyone to see my work that I did during my first photography class.

So, keep it up! Your work will certainly get a lot better over time, as it did for all of us.

I am glad that you have supplied a candid reaction. I actually think that the credibility of my first edit is validated by the fact that it evoked a much more powerful response from you than the original. The original was unobjectionable but uninteresting. The second was objectionable, ergo interesting. Controversial, if you will. It polarizes opinion as much as it polarizes the color gamut. One of the worst-looking images you've seen in recent memory? That's an amazing accomplishment that few could ever hope to achieve! ANYONE can make an unobjectionable, uninteresting, image, but few can make one that is unforgettable.

We can all solicit a strong reaction by posting a poor image or by processing something badly,

How do you know this? How many people done such a thing? Have you? Almost every photo I see posted on here is forgotten within five seconds of being viewed. What I have posted is still being talked about the day later and for who knows how long into the future.

but that doesn't, in itself give it any merit. Perhaps you don't have a calibrated monitor, but it just looks like some cheap plug-in from ten years ago. Sorry.

No need for apologies! What you have just declared is that I have succeeded in not only simulating a software plugin but transporting the viewer back in time ten years! The overwhelming majority of forgettable photos on DPR look like exactly what they are: amateur snapshots from the modern digital age that convey an ignorance and lack of appreciation of the history of photography. What you're telling me is that my image is stepped in the rich historical evolution of digital photo editing techniques. Compliments don't get much higher than that!

I am afraid there is a misunderstanding. You did not even get one compliment in this thread.

I too am afraid there is a misunderstanding. I can take as a complement any statement I please, regardless of the sender's intentions. I have received many compliments in this thread.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow