Can Nikkor 17-55mm F2.8 DX handle D7100?

Started Aug 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
TOR8472
Senior MemberPosts: 1,530Gear list
Like?
Re: consider the Sigma 18-35 1.8
In reply to Brent Allen Thale, Aug 20, 2013

I second the idea of considering the Sigma 18-35 1.8. If I were buying new today, I would seriously consider that lens as it is high in "bang for the buck" category from all I've read about it.

I agree that the Nikon 17-55 is perfectly fine on the D7100 as it is a very good lens (I always enjoy Bren'ts comic-con shots and DezM gets great images with it on the D300 forum). The problem with this lens is not how good it is, it is that there are a lot of alternatives that are almost as good that are significantly cheaper (hence the constant debate here). I have the Tamron 17-50 non-VC and it is very sharp and in most situations, probably 90% as good as the Nikon that cost 3X as much as I paid for it. The build of the Nikon is significantly better, but not worth the difference to me. The problem with mine is the flash issue mentioned in a prior response. Every so often when using flash, it will overexpose by several stops and completely blow out the photo. Not a big deal some of the time, but for indoor events where I need flash, there are some occassions where I can't trust it as I won't get a second chance to re-shoot. Manual flash is an option, but at events where I am moving around and the light is changing, that is not always a good option either. My Tamron was also not very good at 50 mm when focused near infinity and now sits on my shelf except when I need a compact indoor zoom no-flash lens.

If buying an indoor event-type DX lens now, I'd seriously consider the Sigma. I'd love to read your thoughts on the Sigma Brent, should you ever decide to make the switch.

Brent Allen Thale wrote:

I've used the 17-55 2.8 DX with the D7100 quite a bit now, mostly for people shots, love it. It's big, heavy, and expensive, but it does what I need it to do, so I haven't considered alternatives. Only the new Sigma 18-35 1.8 might get me to switch, we'll see.

Lots of 17-55/D7100 shots on my site: http://www.wingedmammal.com/comic_con_2013/comic_con_2013.shtml

Full 24-megapixel resolution: http://www.wingedmammal.com/action_photos_2013/DSC_0183-final.jpg

TOR8472's gear list:TOR8472's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow