Started Aug 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,494Gear list
Like?
How to sell mirrorless
Aug 20, 2013

Passing a high street electronics shop today, I saw that they put a mirrorless camera in their valuable window display space - this is a shop of substantial internal size but very limited street frontage.

If you look carefully you'd notice that this is one of the largest electronics retailers in the UK, and the misinformation at first seems appalling. The EOS M only having 8MP? It's a DSLR? What the Dickens?

I think that although "8MP" is an inexcusable error, even for Currys/PCWorld, the DSLR bit is actually quite clever. This is the shop's street window and most people looking in from the street would not know anything about mirrorless. So when they look at the thing it would appear to be some kind of a compact, and a compact for 375 quid? However most people have heard of the acronym DSLR and this at least will convey to the biggest audience that this thing has multiple (OK two) lenses that you could swap around.

Maybe M43 should have called themselves Micro SLR. Panasonic's penchant of making DSLR-lookalike bodies now makes sense to me.

By the way I could attest to the fact that all staff (the ones I've talked to anyway) inside know the difference between a mirrorless and an SLR, and many are more knowledgeable about cameras and lenses than I. Still, 8MP is inexcusable.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow