Better to be slightly under or over-exposed (6D in RAW)?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Muresan Bogdan
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
Re: Better to be slightly under or over-exposed (6D in RAW)?
In reply to CanonKen, 11 months ago

I think the answer actually is IT DEPENDS.

Of course idealy you need to expose correcty. Of course if you want the most information and the highest dynamic range you need to expose a little to the right. But no two scenes are the same.

So my answer to you is judge each scene and try to visualise the final image. I think that is what makes a good photographer.

I personally do not like the look of the sky if I expose to the right, especially with sunsets. So most of the time if I shoot a sunset and my main focus is on the sky I will expose the sunset correctly and pull the shadows in the ground on post processing. Then I can aply noise reduction only on the shadowed side.

If my main focus is on a building maybe then I will expose to the right and pull down the highlights in post.

Also I have people in the scene I always try to get the right exposure on their faces as the recovered areas will never have the same colours as if properly exposed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow