Cheapest, most versatile telephoto setup?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Aspenz
Contributing MemberPosts: 573Gear list
Like?
Re: Cheapest, most versatile telephoto setup?
In reply to Nikon1user, 11 months ago

Nikon1user wrote:

It could be the age of the lens too, my 18-200 is the original one, almost 7 years old now I suppose... I find it hunts quite a bit on the D5100. We just picked up the 70-300 this week, one of the discounted refurbs from B&H, and it has been a huge step up in speed and overall performance.

Hmm perhaps, I've read around and apparently the 18-200 is quite prone to having autofocus screw-ups over time. In fact, on the day that I received it, it simply would not focus, manual or auto, to infinity distances. I was about to send it for repair but decided first to try some things out:

1) Tightening the front glass element. But it was already very tight. So....

2) I loosened it up and removed it, inside there were some loosely piled up gold and silver rings (I've no idea what they did...) and I risked it and removed them altogether. Guess what? Suddenly focuses to infinity no problem and autofocus speed seemed to have become slightly faster too.

Aspenz's gear list:Aspenz's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow