(1dx) Best way to use flash in Av mode?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
rbarta
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?
Re: (1dx) Best way to use flash in Av mode?
In reply to AlanPezz, 11 months ago

AlanPezz wrote:

I have a 6D. There is a menu setting to controlol the speedlight attached to the hot show. There are three options for shutter speed when in Av mode. The default is automatic. Option 2 is the limit the shutter speed between 1/60 and sync speed (1/180 on the 6D). The third option is the shoot at sync speed. You should have the same choice in your camera.

Good tip.  I forgot about that and the first thing I did was set mine at sync speed (1/250) in Av because I hated the way it was set up.

But I don't use Av anymore now that I've learned that you are controlling 2 exposures and separating your subject from the background with light/dark a little or a lot or just bringing your subject up to the background lighting.  I used to just use a flash for dimly lit subjects, now I control the whole image.  Control the background exposure with M everything (iso, aperture, shutter speed) and control the subject lighting with usually ETTL on the flash(es) set their relative levels and FEC, sometimes you have to go manual on them too.  This all may seem very simplistic to those who have been controlling (not just using) a flash for years as is the video I posted above, but it is really easy once you know what you are doing.

rbarta's gear list:rbarta's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow