E M1 on Fourthirds Rumors

Started Aug 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,207Gear list
Like?
Re: E M1 on Fourthirds Rumors
In reply to kuaimen, Aug 19, 2013

Olympus camera division (half dead?) will die an ugly death if they dare sell a "tiny"-sensor camera without significant price difference compared to a 35mmff-sensor camera, me believes.

When comparing similar generation technology, silicon is sold mostly by area. Sensor of 35mmff size costs about 4x compared to 4/3 sensor. Given that condition, and given that good 35mmff OVF is also expensive, Olympus would rake in a huge profit based on BOM only (not including R&D cost), if the price is set close to 35mmff.

If the sensor was the accounted for most of the cost of a camera, you would be correct.  However, all those other things like the camera body, the LCD, the electronics, and image stabilizer typically will cost far more than the sensor.  Comparing the E-M1 with dust, moisture, and freeze proofing and at least theoretically semi-pro level components to a stripped down full frame camera is not appropriate.  This logic would say that a Canon rebel should cost the same as the Canon 7D (originally $1974)  since they use the same sensor.  I personally think the 7D is really worth more than three times the cost of the rebel.   If the E-M1 really is a semi-pro level camera which can effectively use all FT lenses and has a build quality equal to the E5, then I would be surprised if the price was less than $1500.  If the Olympus Pen EPM2 cost as much as a introductory level FF, then Olympus would have a serious problem.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow