bosjohn
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,890
Like?
Re: Full frame rangefinder solutions. Not leica
In reply to T3, Aug 19, 2013

T3 wrote:

bosjohn wrote:

D Cox wrote:

one last point. When it comes to very wide angle lenses the Leica has a big advantage in that its lens flang to sensor plane is shorter and there is not mirror flopping around in there. This means that even 21mm or shorter lenses can be designed as so called straight focus lenses which means less distortion and better sharpness and a huge savings in size

This advantage over SLRs is shared by all the mirrorless digital cameras.

whil, this is true for the mirrorless cameras you may not like the results you get sticking your Zeiss or Leica lenses on them with adapters because for some strange but well documented reason the wide angles that is those wider than thirty five mm or so get pretty soft around the edges. So if you want to use wide angle Leica glass or zeiss glass you pretty much stuck using the Leica. If sony makes an interchangable lens version of their latest fixed lens offering then you will have a real viable alternative albeit its not really a range finder but a electronic slr

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

First of all, I don't think he was talking about putting Zeiss or Leica rangefinder lenses on a mirrorless camera. I think he was talking about putting designed-for-mirrorless-camera lenses on mirrorless cameras.

Secondly, Sony's "interchangable lens version of their latest fixed lens offering" would absolutely not be "a electronic slr". All modern SLRs are "electric" because they run on electricity. But in order to be an "electric SLR", you need a reflex mirror, which is what the "R" in "SLR" stands for. No reflex mirror, no SLR.

I don't see any reason to go back to outdated, inferior technology such as the rangefinder mechanical focus system. For its time, it was a decent solution. But technology has brought us far superior methods of focusing a lens while actually being able to see through the lens. Plus, rangefinders also aren't as accurate with their focusing, since rangefinders focus by triangulation. Ultimately, rangefinders are appealing to a small niche market who doesn't mind these limitations and quirks of the rangefinder system. But the rest of the photographic world has definitely moved on to better options and better technology.

the term slr while traditionally used to describe cameras with mirrors and prisms but the acronym means single lens reflex I used the term correctly. the taking lens is used for viewing and framing the photo and the light path is bent with prisms mirrors or electronically. Its the bent light path that makes them reflexes so a view camera while using the taking lens to frame and view the shot is not an slr

Modern autofocus is pretty darn good but a long base rangefinder would still be more accurate. The real advantage of modern digital slr camers is the ease with which they can do close up photography and long focus lenses. The newest M from Leica has erased much of that advantage though admittedly when its using long focus lenses that is lenses beyond 135mm its thinks it been reborn an electronic vf camera. the price we pay for the modern dslrs at the pro and semipro level is a huge weight and size gap difference. If you don't think this is important I suggest you google photographers and back shoulder and wrist problems.

I am very interested though in where sony is going with their full frame small electronic vf cameras. If the and I believe the will if not already get an interchangeable lens version that could really put leica in a bind

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RE:New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow