XF1 setting comparisons

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,513Gear list
Like?
Re: XF1 setting comparisons
In reply to homepics, 8 months ago

homepics wrote:

These shots are from the camera, to iphoto, and imported to dpreview. No processing was done. The comparison shots are taken on a tripod, with the timer. This first set compares EXR, Kim's and Dave's settings. The only change from the recommended settings is on Dave's. I forgot the -ev. The pictures were taken in the late afternoon.

I think EXR is out. I don't like what it does with the foreground plants. Dave's looks a little too dark. I am not sure -ev is needed. From other tests I have done, the metering setting of Average tends to result in a darker result than Multi. The pictures were taken in the late afternoon. Anyway, I'll see how Dave's settings worked tweaked with Multi metering instead of Average.

Dave

Kim

EXR

I have come to the conclusion that there is no absolute better or worse situation because both Dave and Kim PP their images and Kim has recently said that his settings are designed to do as little damage as possible to the image to facilitate better PP, which would imply that OOC, they will not look their best. A bit like the old Nikon D70 which produced very flat images specifically designed to be PP'ed, whereas the D50 images were more vibrant up OOC.

It makes comparing hard, do you compare OOC or after optimal PP of each image. Whats more, both of them are very proficient with RAW and can get more out of decent capture that way. Its hard to get to a truly objective and definitive conclusion IMHO.

-- hide signature --

Doctors are bad for your lifestyle.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow