Started Aug 19, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KarmaAndLies
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Ergonomics (touch screen free usage)
Aug 19, 2013

So those of you who came from a Canon SLR background likely know that Canon is very well known for their good ergonomic design, particularly the ability to completely control the camera without the LCD screen (e.g. change ISO, change auto-focus points, et al).

So here is my question I've tried a couple of the "lower end" cameras both from Olympus and Panasonic (GF5, E-PL5) because frankly that is all they sell locally. No sign of the GH3, E-M5, E-P5, or GX7.

The cameras I've tried seem to let you change the shutter speed and aperture both in M, A, and S which is great. But from what I've yet seen neither of them let you either change the ISO or the focus points without going into the "Quick Menu."

Now I suspect I'll get a long lecture about the needlessness of manually setting the ISO and how wonderful auto-ISO is, and one of these days I might come to see it that way too. But right this very second I am still a manual ISO user for better or worse.

But even with the ISO thing out of the way I am still left wondering if I can change the focus points without using the touch screen. Touch focus is a lot of fun but with an EVF I'd prefer not to need to look down from what I'm shooting.

So my question is: If I want Canon level ergonomics what cameras should I be looking at? I basically want to control all the "major" functions of the camera without using the LCD/quick menus (ISO, Shutter, Aperture, Focus Points, and ideally even drive mode).

Right now the GH3 has caught my eye simply because it has an "ISO" button right next to the shutter button.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow