XF1 setting comparisons

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,215
Like?
Re: [set#1] XF1 setting comparisons
In reply to homepics, 11 months ago

Homepic, thanks for doing this comparison! These are the only ones I looked at so far. I see you used a tripod, based on the shadow at bottom of image.

The difference between EXR and KimL could be exposure. The EXR is 1/3 stop more exposed at EV 13.1 vs 13.4. With KimL settings everything looks more 3D - not just plants in foreground, but trees in the background as well. I think this is more than can be explained by 1/3 stop different exposure. However the EXIF claims that Auto-EXR selected DR 400%, and KimL EXIF says that Development Dynamic Range = 400.

Dave's settings result in ISO 200, unnecessary f/8, and warmer colors due to film mode "F1b/Studio Portrait Smooth Skin Tone" which I think means Astia. Although the EXIF claims the Light Value = 13.8, when calculating, the EV comes out at 14.8. This is probably a bug in Fuji firmware. I feel the image is underexposed.

Well there you have it: ammunition for those who say EXR is overcomplicated with lousy defaults.

Film Mode : F1b/Studio Portrait Smooth Skin Tone
homepics wrote:

These shots are from the camera, to iphoto, and imported to dpreview. No processing was done. The comparison shots are taken on a tripod, with the timer. This first set compares EXR, Kim's and Dave's settings. The only change from the recommended settings is on Dave's. I forgot the -ev. The pictures were taken in the late afternoon.

I think EXR is out. I don't like what it does with the foreground plants. Dave's looks a little too dark. I am not sure -ev is needed. From other tests I have done, the metering setting of Average tends to result in a darker result than Multi. The pictures were taken in the late afternoon. Anyway, I'll see how Dave's settings worked tweaked with Multi metering instead of Average.

Dave

Kim

EXR

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow