E-PL5 Stabilization

Started Aug 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,226Gear list
Like?
Shaky tests
In reply to markintosh13, Aug 19, 2013

People cursed the arms-out shooting style for its inherent instability, compared to against-the-face DSLR shooting. I wondered if there was a difference for me.

I filled a mug with water and tried walking down the outdoor stairs with it held against my head. Splashes!

After refill, I tried it with my arms out, slightly bent. Much better!

Next, I got a laser pointer, held it with two hands against my forehead and aimed it at a small target 10 paces away. I was amazed how shaky it was, from balance adjustments in my feet, to heartbeats, to neck movements. Breathing, too... though you can hold that briefly or do a long exhale.

Arms-out, slightly bent, I'd say was no worse — and perhaps the variations were less jumpy.

Interestingly, waist-level shooting — as allowed by cameras with flip-up LCDs like the E-PL5 — seemed the most stable.

YMMV... but I encourage people to try the laser-pointer test. If you can attach the pointer to your camera — or cut a hole in a bar of soap to hold the pointer — so much the better.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow