Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sten E
Senior MemberPosts: 1,470Gear list
Like?
What smaller equipment is good enough?
8 months ago

Tonight I will go on a fairly long journey, bringing the maximum of 8 kilograms of photographic equipment in my flight cabin bag. I bring 2 camera bags too, one for my Pentax K-5 with one lens, and the other for Pentax K-5 with two lenses. The third lens will need to be carried in a backpack.

So again, I start thinking of getting smaller gear. Before, I was about to buy bigger stuff like Canon 5D III or Nikon D800 to get even better image quality, but now I realize that smaller is better when travelling because of weight and size.

A while ago I tried the Olympus OM-D E-M5 but I did not like the auto focus and not the viewer either.

This is what I would like to have:

- Small size

- Excellent image quality with good resolution, sharpness, and colours

- Good built-in viewer, optical or digital

- Good autofocus, preferrably PDAF or hybrid so the camera can focus on the nearest object

- Good low light capability

- Lenses (ranges referring to APSC) : a general purpose zoom like my Pentax 18-135, a telezoom like my Pentax 55-300, a wide angle zoom like my Sigma 10-20, and a macro lens like my Sigma 70 mm.

I do not need GPS, video, WiFi.

I will soon go away for a couple of weeks, carrying around my present gear. When I get back, I hope for answers to the thoughts I described above.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Sten

Sten E's gear list:Sten E's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow