Heads up - New boxed Ricoh Caplio 500G on Ebay

Started Jan 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,094Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it worthy?
In reply to Andrewteee, Aug 19, 2013

Andrewteee wrote:

Is this camera particularly worthy of tracking down? Is the IQ particularly good? I'm just wondering why this is such a hot commodity.

Sure yes. The 500G and 500SE are based on the Ricoh Caplio GX8 and have better image quality than the newer G600 and G700 which uses slower zoom, smaller sensor and more NR which not can be set to Off. Like GX8 the 500G/SE also uses PD AF which is faster.

I'm not very bothered by the extra bulk, to me it is worth it.

There is some threads about the 500G/SE over at Ricohforum.com even though the PX is dominating there. But that's because the it is newer and not as pricey as the 500G/SE was when these still was sold new. Now it can almost only be found as used on Ebay.

I had a good look at the PX but the image quality was worse than the G600 and G700 as well plus the slower aperture so I backed off from that one.

The Ricoh G800 might arrive at some time during this autumn as long as Ricoh intend to follow their approximately interval of two year for that series. As the zoom in the G600 now also has been used two times with the G700 and G700SE, it should be time for a new zoom.

Hopefully it will be the same fast, (at the wide end) zoom as in Olympus TG-1 and Pentax Optio WG-3. Though hopefully without the smudgy NR in the WG-3 which was a disappointment.

I hoped much that Pentax would get it right with that camera.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow