JPEG for the PROs: achieving "Minolta colours" with a D-SLT ?

Started Aug 19, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
JPEG for the PROs: achieving "Minolta colours" with a D-SLT ?
Aug 19, 2013

Hi folks,

I was worried how you can setting up your camera, to get "Minolta colours" from your SLT.

I had a D7D with his marvelous colours, what was (one of) the reason/s of the collaboration and sharing technologies between Konica films division & Minolta the optician and instruments factory.

I used many photos successfully for press magazine (many years). Most of the time without the need to PP. Of course I shoot raw+jpeg, most of the time, but I believe about the paradigm:

— «exposing well in-camera to PP a few..».

So the point of this thread is about how to setting up your WB to get Minolta colours

(with an SLT, and as D7D does).

Later, I've never been convinced about the switch from CCD to CMOS, for good reasons (the first generation was a tad flat and dull, comparing to..), but the advantages and serious improvement about EVF-SLT technologies made me take the plunge and buying an A37 to experiment and knowing better whats happen with it.

Below some tests with in-camera jpeg ONLY.

I use all these setting as default:

— Mode [A] Apperture priority;

— Colour space: AdobeRGB;

— No "Picture effect";

— No "Creative style" => std;

— No DR optimization (for the test)

— ISO 100;

— Metering mode: "Center wheited"

— JPEG "fine" or "xFine" (D7D);

— Contrast = 0

— Saturation = +1

— Sharpness = +1 (D7D) +2 (A37)

— WB: I used "manual WB" (and sometimes 5800°K or 7400°K but I confess in this case: it's not WB-alanced)

in-camera JPEG, KM-D7D, with customized in-camera WB

Above I trying to match the "Minolta colours" with the A37, with a customized WB (7400°K B2 M1). And after many different settings, this one seems to be the best one.

The green match (but continue to be a tad yellowish comparing to the pure colour of the Minolta), but the sky suffer of a lack of red/magenta a lot.

I can do with Photoshop (Green: HUE + 7, Blue HUE + 4) and I can get similiar result, but the question is: do is it possible to get it straight from camera. Do a top of the line SLT (A77, A99) can setting the Hue?

Kind Regards,

PS: so, for now, I conclude that nothing can compare to the D7D about coulours, imho.

-- hide signature --

Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K-m (K2000) Sony SLT-A37 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow