ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Butterflyhiker
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Olympus OM-D, choosing a lens
11 months ago

Hi all,

I hope you can help me make a decision on which len/s to purchase with a new OM-D. I am so confused, the more I read the harder my decision is!

Bit of background. I am very much a novice/enthusiast and still learning so at this stage I don't have a particular style that I lean towards.  I am very outdoorsy and so tend to take the camera on hikes, enjoy landscape/nature/beach photos.  I travel a fair bit (hence the reason for choosing a light 4.3 camera).  I have started wanting to learn more techniques (low light, bokeh etc) and wanting to play more to get different effects.  I currently have an Olympus EPL-1 with the kit lens (14-42mm and 40-150mm) - the 14-42 has a scratch so I'd want to replace it. I also have a MZuiko 9-18mm lens.  There is a few limitations that I am starting to notice on this camera as I am beginning to learn more and I'm finding I'm being restricted to what I can do, so this was the predominant reason for wanting an upgrade.

I have around $1500 to spend, however I can afford a little more to get it right if I have to.  I have been leaning towards the OMD with 12-50mm kit lens but the more I am reading the more I'm wondering if this is the right choice.  I'm hearing more about the Panny 14-45 and thinking maybe that would be better.  I would rather get a good quality lens to start with and get extra lens later as I can afford them.  My problems is being a novice I don't know enough about whether a lens is good or not, and I also don't really know what I want to shoot as I'm still learning.  I probably wont' upgrade this new camera for another 4 or 5 years either, so I want to get it right.

Any help or guidance would be hugely appreciated!

thanks in advance

Debbie

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow