ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GiggliG
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
Downsizing Decisions - Help!
Aug 18, 2013

Hey all,

I have been in the Nikon system for about four years now. My wife and I share the camera, and we use it mostly for vacations. Very rarely do we take our camera out and about in our hometown.

We are in Japan right now and my wife and I don't even want to take out our D90 due to the weight of lugging it around. Instead we have relied on my brother with his Fujifilm X series with the fixed lens.

I have 4 lenses in the system: the Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, the Nikon 55-200 VR, the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and the Nikon 35mm f1.8 (we only took the latter two to Japan). I also have the SB-200 flash.

I need the 8-16mm or something close to it because I am a real estate agent and use it for all of my listing photographs.

The current weight of the base system we have is 704g for D90 + 569g for Tamron 17-50, total is 1274g. However, we don't even like carrying around the 35mm f1.8 on the D90, which is about 900g.

The debate we are having is whether to switch to the Sony NEX system. They are fairly expensive, and the lenses are very expensive. Also there is a hassle to changing systems.

Option 1: Buy NEX-6 (465g with kit lens) for $800, list all of my Nikon gear for sale, and once it sells get the Sony 10-18mm f.4 (only ~255g!) and maybe a fast prime (although none of the primes seem to be very fast, and they seem to be a lot more expensive).

Option 2: Buy a D3200 with kit lens for $500 (Canada) (~760g), then sell the D90+Tamron (we honestly don't need it) and pocket the extra cash, and wait for Nikon to introduce an APS-C mirrorless camera (which they may not do???)

Our next trip is in December, so we can wait a while. What should I do? Are there any other alternatives you would suggest?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow