Started Aug 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,127Gear list
Like?
China with 5D3 and 6D
Aug 18, 2013

Few days ago I completed my second China tour. China is a fascinating country, it was great to go back (6 years later).

My gears were 5D3 with 24-70/2.8 II, 6D with 70-200/2.8 II, 90mm TS, memory cards (about 150GB in total) and four batteries.

In 20 days I took about 2000 pictures, two thirds of them with 5D3+24-70 combo. Second body and 70-200 made the bag heavier, but I wanted to avoid changing lenses as much as possible and it is hard to beat 70-200 as a second travel lens. Wish there was a single high quality lens covering 24 to 200+. Its a pain to carry all those gears when you are walking 4-6 hours a day in humid heat. Anyways, it wasn't too bad.

Few pictures to share with you. Out of 2000 I have processed about 50 so far. I will try to share a link after I process more.

Longsheng Rice Terrace was one of the first places we visited. Situated about 800m above sea level, these were built between 800 and 500 years ago. View was simply awesome.

A rice farming village

China has people from 55 ethnic origin. They still maintain their own traditions and way of life as much as possible. Here is a girl from Mongol origin making lamb Kebab inside a typical Mongol tent.

Huangshan Mountains (Yellow Mountains) is one of the most breathtaking places you can visit. Like Yosemite and Grand Canyon it is impossible to capture or describe its magnificence and scale. It inspired James Cameron to create those mountains in Avatar (as well as thousands of Chinese poets and painters for thousands of years). Here is a view at sunrise.

After few days in southeast we headed for northwest to check out silk route.

A livestock market in Kashgar

Ruins of an old city in Turpan

Camels and dunes in Datong

For a show at night I used 6D+70-200. I took a series of 30 pictures of these flying actors in servo mode, camera had no problem focusing (it probably was easy as contrast was pretty high).

A more static shot from the same show

A fortune teller in the street

Couple of TS fun with 90mm TS lens

I am not an expert on China tour by any stretch of imagination, but I will try to answer any specific question you may have regarding visiting China.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow