Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Doug Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,857
Like?
True ...
In reply to Eamon Hickey, 8 months ago

Eamon Hickey wrote:

NZ Scott wrote:

1. Because Olympus would never want to introduce an important new product via crummy video screen grabs and totally incomplete information. They spend tens of thousands of dollars creating beautiful product photos, web presentations, and information collateral (spec sheets etc.). That's how they want to introduce the product to the world -- with beautiful images and tailored information.

I agree with this. I think it's unlikely that the release was intentional.

Companies don't leak intentionally. Sometimes they do teasers, which are very different -- they are equally as "produced" as a formal product rollout and use high quality imagery and copy.

Both Olympus and Panasonic are clearly using 43rumours.com as a marketing tool, drip-feeding specs and "teaser" photos to the site weeks in advance of launch, in order to develop hype.

Well, I don't see how you can agree with my first point and then think that Olympus and Panasonic are intentionally leaking crummy pictures and incomplete, often wrong, specs to rumor sites.

I used to work in the media, and companies DID play favourites - a lot.

I work in media now. In fact, I've pointed secret cameras out the very same window in the very same room that it's in the video that Engadget mistakenly posted. (It's the offices of the Mullen PR agency here in New York, overlooking Herald Square.)

I know the players involved in this; I'm 100% sure that Olympus America does not play product announcement favorites among the large media outlets, other than the normal prioritizing that everyone expects -- i.e. the bigger, more important outlets get more attention. I've never heard of a camera company giving an exclusive on a product announcement in the U.S (on interviews, sometimes yes, and occasionally on trips to the factory, "hands-on" camera demos and other special add-ons, but never on a product announcement). And I've been a journalist covering the industry here in the U.S. for 15 years.

I've also worked many times on the marketing side, for new products and new services (not in the camera industry but for a dozen or more companies in a variety of other industries), so I know the process inside and out from the corporate side as well. This is why I know that companies have zero interest -- I mean, zero -- in undermining their own marketing efforts by "leaking" terrible pictures and wrong or incomplete specs. Again, they often do teasers, but teasers are much, much different.

The leaks are easy to explain. Starting about 6 months before a product is announced, dozens of companies and thousands of people (non-employees of the manufacturer) become aware of it -- they are all part of that marketing effort I just spoke about. They are advertising and PR agencies, product testers, brochure printing plants, box printing plants, retailers, government regulators, journalists, and dozens of others. And they are all over the world because every region mounts its own marketing campaign.

All it takes is for one 24-year-old junior graphic artist at a subcontracted interactive web design firm who is building the web page for, say, Olympus Malaysia to email a picture and some specs to his shutterbug younger brother and the cat is out of the bag.

It's Engadget's mistake, and the only favoritism I've seen camera manufacturers engage in is the distribution of review units, which is a matter of simple logistics as there are never enough review units to satisfy demand.
The larger the media outlet the higher up the list you are to get first shot at those, but the tech briefing is pretty much open to all.

Compared to the PR machinations of the Music and Movie / TV industries the camera manufacturers are choirboys ; ) It's refreshing actually.

Douglas Brown

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow