Started Aug 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ZodiacPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 586
Like?
E-M1 competitors are...
Aug 18, 2013

In the middle of another thread, I asked why a built-in flash was omitted from E-M1, and the answer was, E-M1 is a professional camera, so it does not need a pop-up flash.

Therefore, let me ask: Which DSLRs does E-M1 compete with?

Are we talking about huge and heavy 2K - 3K++ body only professional DSLRs without a built-in flash? Are they a real alternative for somebody considering E-M1? Or, rather, we should be looking at $1K - $1.5K advanced APS-C bodies - and all of them have a pop-up flash. Often you are faced with unavoidable back light or similar situations where a fill-in flash would be needed. The main advantage of M4/3 as a system over APS-C and larger sensors is size and weight, and sometimes you just want to travel light. Reducing this advantage by making external flash necessary has no logical explanation. It is not a problem to weather-seal the flash - it is done in many APS-C DSLRs, and it is definitely no more challenging than doing same for a tilt screen. And E-M1 already has a hump for the viewfinder, and making it a little wider is not a big design challenge.

Is Olympus afraid to make a "perfect camera" - a camera which is good enough and has everything most users need, so they would not consider an upgrade in the foreseeable future?

I am a G3 user (along with Canon DSLRs), and I prefer a DSLR-like shape. I was considering E-M1 as an upgrade from G3, but not anymore...

I would appreciate your opinion.

Best regards,

ZodiacPhoto

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow