Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Newbie Phewbie
Regular MemberPosts: 297
Like?
A budget Lightroom PC build - feedback requested
11 months ago

I am a photo hobbyist and want to build a PC that will be able to run Lightroom (process RAW files) & lightweight photoshop (CS5) work, and drive a 2560 x 1440 monitor (Dell U2713HM)

My funds are limited, so I want to avoid over-spec-ing the PC.

Processor: i5 4430 3.4GHz quad core.

I've read that the HD4600 graphics in this processor can support a resolution of 3840x2160 so should be able to drive my monitor. It can use about 1.6GB of system memory. I'd like to use this capability instead of a graphics card (*** Will this be fine? This is my biggest concern ***)

I believe the processing power should be sufficient for LR & Photoshop.

Memory: 8GB. I don't intend to do a lot of simultaneous processing. I'll probably have a browser and LR open and sometimes (not often) have Photoshop loaded too.

Motherboard: It will have DVI and displayport outputs and PCIe slots for a graphics board should I want to add one.

The rest of the configurations is here if you need to look for more.

I'd appreciate feedback especially on the HD4600's capability to drive the monitor without coming to its knees. If you think I need a graphics card, please suggest the minimum specs that will drive this monitor.

Thanks in advance.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow