Full frame rangefinder solutions. Not leica

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,569Gear list
Like?
Re: Full frame rangefinder solutions. Not leica
In reply to treepop, 8 months ago

treepop wrote:

Curious if this exists. I love the idea of a nice compact full frame camera with minimal size. However, I'm not willing to drop leica type doe for it.

Thanks.
--
never stop learning

Everyone is different and I happen to be a person who doesn't like rangefinder cameras.

Back in the 60s and 70s they were great cameras but today they would have to be considered a niche camera. Contrary to all the hype, they just aren't a good choice for most people.

You're right that Leica is currently making about the only digital rangefinders and they are extremely expensive, especially when you consider that less expensive systems will out perform them in most ways. Leica lenses are excellent, manual focus lenses, but are also out of most people's price range.

About the only, small, full frame camera that's available right now is the Sony RX1 and it's price is also higher than most people want to pay for a small camera without a viewfinder.

I've often asked myself why so many amateur photographers are so enamored with full frame cameras.

In a practical sense, and for normal use, they aren't really any better than a good camera/lens with an APS size sensor.

I can only think of a couple of situations in the last 10 years where a full frame camera might have served me better than APS-C and people who talk about background blur and all that other "junk", may not know how to use their DSLR or don't own the right lens.

There are exceptions to every rule and some people do need a full frame sensor but most of us snap shooters who aren't doing a horrendous amount of cropping, or selling our pictures to National Geographic, would be smarter to stick with APS-C.

Ed B's gear list:Ed B's gear list
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 40D Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RE:New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow