Started Aug 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sapple
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?
Best Cheap Hiking Tripod
Aug 18, 2013

I need a tripod for landscapes and macro work. Probably about 85% landscape and 15% macro. I also do not want to spend a lot of money. My price range is going to be $100 for the tripod itself or $150 for the head and tripod together. I will use this tripod almost entirely when hiking and potentially down the road when traveling. I am therefore looking for something that collapses down to under 20" for the tripod itself and weighs at most 5lbs.

My current tripod is a targus tripod that was actually given away free with some old promotion. I think from a magazine subscription. It is also completely terrible. I definitely can not use it and press the shutter release. Instead I use a remote to trigger the shutter. It does not feel very solid, but I have been making do with it for a couple of months now.

There are lots of posts about travel tripods but most of those are in the several hundred dollar range if not more. Any suggestions for cheapy tripods?

sapple's gear list:sapple's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow