Tips/advice for improving my composition skills.

Started Aug 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CanonKen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,763Gear list
Like?
Tips/advice for improving my composition skills.
Aug 17, 2013

Hi,

Technically, I consider myself an advanced photographer.  I have been shooting with SLR's for 20 years, and DSLR's for 10.  It is rare (if ever) I blow a shot due to a technical issue, even tough stuff (nighttime, flash, telephoto work, too much/little DOF, etc.).  In other words, the mastery of the equipment is a non-issue.

What I struggle with is nailing my composition.  I can locate interesting subjects, and as I said above, get a very high-quality capture.  When I get home and look at my files, I often find myself wanting in the composition of the scene.  I know and use the basics (rule of thirds, getting down low/high, etc.), but I just have trouble really getting...creative.

Any thoughts (other than shooting more pics!) on good resources to learn more?  Looking at pictures helps a lot, but I would like to keep learning and growing.  I just upgraded to a Canon 6D and I have good lenses covering 17-400mm, so there is zero excuse for me to not be able to do anything.

CanonKen's gear list:CanonKen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 6D
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow