Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?
Mine also broke 2 months ago.
In reply to VancouverKenS, Aug 17, 2013

VancouverKenS wrote:

Hi Philo...

The exact same malfunction happened to me a few months ago when shooting on assignment in Seattle, the plastic buckle on my E-5 broke without warning and the camera and 12-60mm lens went crashing onto a hardwood floor. Fearing the worst as I looked down at the E-5 on the floor, when I picked it up, the only "parts" that were there were the broken halves of that plastic buckle. No apparent damage to camera or lens. However, when I used that E-5 next, strange things started to happen. All by itself, and randomly, the camera would change settings by huge leaps, like 3-5 stops change in aperture, shutter speed, ISO setting and others. I sent it to Olympus Repair in El Paso, TX explaining that these problems were internal and happened totally randomly. My guess is a cracked solder point or ribbon connector that looses contact and sends weird data to the CPU. Camera came back from Precision Camera Repair in Connecticut saying all was repaired and returned to factory specs. No such thing. Within 25 minutes of using the camera on assignment, the same problem happened again, jumping 5 stops from one exposure to the next. I have been in "negotiation" with Olympus USA about this problem of failing OEM plastic buckles, but no luck or response about either the faulty buckles or their "third-party" repair subcontractors not repairing what they claimed they did repair. Now the E-5 has been discontinued and I may not even be able to replace my damaged one (at my expense, no less.) VancouverKenS

That is a real bummer. I stated early in this post that I don't use straps. However I went to etosha and used the E-5 strap on the E-30 + 12-60 so that I could carry it on my shoulder. Yep the cheap plastic buckle broke and the camera and lens fell about 3 feet. Fortunately the camera fell on the lens hood on soft ground which shoot off and the was no damage to the camera lens or hood. I replaced the buckles with the ones from a E-500 and they seem OK.

There have been to many complaints about these buckles. Olympus should at least acknowledge the problem. But then pigs might fly. Even under warranty I recon one would have a hassle.

Maybe it's a case of go away pesky 4/3 people.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow