Started Aug 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Boris
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,254Gear list
Like?
Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 for FF
Aug 17, 2013

I`m a 1DsMK2 and 5dMK2 shooter using mainly prime lenses. I have a 28-135 IS zoom for event photography but was not happy with the sharpness of this lens. I rented a 24-70f2.8L and while a very sharp lens it was just too big/heavy...and expensive.

Yesterday B&H of NY delivered a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 (Made in Japan). Build quality is about the same as my 28-135 IS and Nikon AFS 24-85f 3.5G....plastic w/metal mount. This lens is SHARP!....good contrast. As sharp as the 24-70f2.8L from f4 on. Very sharp in the center at f2.8 but corners a bit soft which clears by f4. If you place a object in the corner and focus on it is also sharp at f2.8...just don`t expect sharp focus in the corners if you focus on something in the center at f2.8. The Tamron is quite a bit sharper than 28-135 IS and Nikon AFS 24-85f 3.5G. Here are some quick hand held test shot from this morning. Shot RAW with default sharpening in LR.

Well done Tamron keeping this old lens in production.

First two f2.8...stop sign f3.5...test well f4...truck f5.6

Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Kodak DCS Pro 14n +39 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1Ds Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow