Started Aug 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
_Jon_
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
Trying to learn. Please help
Aug 17, 2013

I am trying to learn how to work with manual flash, and I am having a bit of trouble.  I am using a nikon d7000 with an sb-700 off camera.   My flash is about 3 feet away from my subject, and my camera and flash are both in manual mode with spot metering.  ambient exposure is f/5, 1/80 at iso 2000.  So, I increase the shutter speed to 1/250 to reduce the ambient exposure by two stops.  If I set my flash in manual mode at the lowest power setting, 1/128, the flash is way too intense.  If I put the flash in TTL mode, the exposure is perfect. I understand that I can move the flash farther away to reduce the power, but it works fine in TTL mode, so I'm trying to understand why I can't do it in manual mode.  I feel like I must be missing a setting somewhere, but the controls and menu on the sb-700 are very simple.  Is it possible that my flash does not allow enough control to dial it down far enough in manual mode?  Any other ideas or suggestions?

Jon

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow