On the apparent upcoming high end OMD that will "dub" as the 4/3rds hybrid

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Sierra Dave
Regular MemberPosts: 439Gear list
Like?
A chance for 4/3 to achieve it's full potential
In reply to Raist3d, 8 months ago

Raist3d wrote:

So looks like this camera will be at least $1,500 USD. Sounds reasonable if positioned to the high end. This is the camera that will apparently use all 4/3rd lenses very well, with some adapter or the camera body will just support some sort of conversion/whatever.

I am already seeing "oh but $1,500 is too expensive! blah blah blah" The reality is that a camera at that caliber *IS* expensive. It amazes me how there are so many "somethings for nothings" mentality. That this camera will use 4/3rd lenses well is Olympus' gift to the 4/3rds users doing good legacy support in a world where they are financially constrained.

In other words, this is the best they can do.

If the rumor is correct, this will be the first compact-sized Olympus camera that can autofocus their better lenses (HG and SHG) accurately and quickly. That's something they've never had before. The E-1 was not quick and the E-xxx models were slower still.

Consider the OMD pro, 14-54II and 50-200SWD. That's a weather-sealed kit covering 28-400mm eq. in 2 lenses and should weigh less than 2kg. It's stabilized, it's got a good VF, it'll be able to do at least 10 fps and it should cost under $3k

I know Olympus marketing is terrible, but so long as they don't screw up the AF, even they ought to be able to translate those selling points into some sales.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Sierra Dave's gear list:Sierra Dave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow