On the apparent upcoming high end OMD that will "dub" as the 4/3rds hybrid

Started Aug 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 2,056Gear list
Like?
Re: Why was it successful?
In reply to Dan, Aug 17, 2013

Dan wrote:

Didn't we just see what Nikon came out with...the 80 - 400 and it costs an arm and a leg.

Yeah.  I did think of that lens.  I don't know why it had to be that expensive.  I do think the price will come down quite a bit in the next year or so, though.  It seems like they try to milk the early adopters for all the money they can, then settle down to a more reasonable price.

Granted it truly is 400 mm and covers the whole FX sensor. I won't be buying one soon. If I was to get a zoom it would probably just be the 70 - 200 and maybe even the first one...had one for a bit and it was fine on the D3.

I do like mine a lot.  Much is made of the supposedly soft corners, and that may turn out to be a problem with the newer high-res sensors, but on the D700 I find it a super lens even for landscapes.

As things stand now I'm pretty happy with the following:

D800 and D3 with 16 mm fisheye, 24, 35, 2 - 50's, 85 1.4D, 135 DC, 200 f4 micro, 300 f4 AFS and 2X. SB900 and two SB600's with TT5's and the SU800 to command them!

No reason not to be happy with that setup!

I too love the form factor of the 180 f2.8 (had a D) but found it's CA a little too strong and hence ended up selling it...the things are a bargain on FM...buy one, use for 2 or so months and resale at the same price...$400 to $450.

Mine is the pre-D, and it was even cheaper!  Same optics, I think.  I know there is CA, but personally I don't find it objectionable.

I took the 180/2.8, the 85/1.8D, and the Sigma 28/1.8 to the city a couple of nights ago to do some street shooting, and I had an absolute blast.  The weight was not bad, and for that particular situation, I had all my needs covered.  This is the flip side of what I said to Bob above, about there being no good substitute for the 50-200 in Nikonland.  None of the three primes I mentioned above cost more than $350, and even if there were lenses in the 4/3 lineup that could give a similar "look" and low-light shooting ability, I shudder to think what they would cost.

Olympus and I are down to bare bones an E3 and 50-200 SWD I picked up as a set and then I had to have something light so picked up the 50 f2.

I still have all my SG and HG lenses but kept only consumer bodies -- two E-500s and an E-510.

Still thinking I'm kind of overstocked with lens and will probably move the D3, 85 or 135, and the 200. Heck I'd consider selling the D800 but the price has dropped just too much so I'll hang onto it...probably for a long time since I don't have any "athletes" left to shoot and don't burn through nearly as many actuations as I did in the past.

The D600 seems nice, if you don't need the fastest AF Nikon has to offer.  It seems like even that module should present no problem for occasional sports shooting.

The D800 is really nice Julie but it's way more MP than I need...heck I got by with fairly large prints with the E1!

I see where you are coming from.  I don't need a lot of MP for general shooting myself.  It's just that I am often cropping a lot with the action and wildlife stuff.  I got a D300 this year for more reach, and I find the 300/4 in particular really nice on that body, so I wouldn't mind having the ability to do an in-camera 1.2x or 1.5x crop on the D800 and still wind up with 16-24 MP.  Sort of two bodies in one.  All the same, I will happily stick with the D700 until the D800 prices come down to <$2,000.

Anyhow, things are good and glad to hear from familiar faces/names every once in a while.

Dan

Yes, good to see you here, too.  Maybe the new body, whatever it turns out to be, will bring more "old timers" back into the fold from other brands.

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow