Started Aug 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
More 3 year old quotes & forum decorum
In reply to Raist3d, Aug 16, 2013

Raist3d wrote:

dave gaines wrote:

What I object to is the negative comments about 4/3 DSLRs, as if a m4/3 could replace an E-5. No one here knows if and when there will be another E-x. Most of us regulars here are hoping for one this year.

That depends on what you call a "negative comment." Someone who says that 4/3rds failed in the market and what Olympus could do making m4/3rds support 4/3rds lenses - why exactly is that "negative" and why they can't bring that up? Simply because it's different from what you want?

The first point is a matter of opinion. Most DSLR owners who post here like their E-5 just fine. We don't think it's failed, to the contrary, we still like the affordable camera, high IQ lenses and telephoto lens advantage. We only wish to confirm that Olympus will continue with the 4/3 system.

The second point is a good subject for the m4/3 forum. Micro 4/3 adopters would love to have lenses as good as the HG and SHG. They're interested in seeing the OM-D develop into an Enthusiast's advanced camera.

Those guys on m4/3 are brutal. They keep trying to convince everyone that their system/brand is the best. Why don't you go over there and tell them when and where to post. Seriously, those guys could use some peer pressure to act civilized. I can understand why you and your buddies here don't want to post over there.

As a comparison to my comments, try going to the Canon APS forums and telling all those folks their system is dead, Canon is not making any more lenses to support it and they ought to come over to the Canon M camp. Or go to the Nikon APS forums and say the same thing and suggest they all adopt Nikon 1 or Sony NEX instead. See how much they appreciate your opinion on their forums. They have a right to expect those forums are freindly to their system and that other-brand-trolls go post on the forum for their brands. Here at Olympus SLR Talk forum we have the same expectations.

You and others in this thread want a better OM-D and you're repeating what 4/3Rumors is speculating.

I think your reply proved this point.

I posted them back then. Here are they again.

http://www.megapixel.co.il/english/archive/14631

Thanks, I had a look. That is a rumor/blog site. The story is over 2 years old, about an interview that is over 3 years old. I read that interview a long time ago. The speakers were so guarded there's little you coud learn from it.

The link did not allow me to scroll down. I only saw 3 slides. You can't tell anything from those images (unless you saw an uncut audio/video).

... That interview is almost 3 years old! Geeze Louise!

Yes! And it was said not once but many times and not just 3 years ago!

I haven't heard Corporate Olympus say that. Lots of rumors but no oiffical news that I know of. Do you have any links?

And I could say you're making stuff up. But I didn't. You're just reading rumor sites.

Yup, and apparently, and E-7 was one of the decision changes they had made since they started m4/3rds only to change their mind again. ...

That is a very dim view for 4/3. No one knows that but Olympus and they're not saying anything. They're going to tell us all in mid-September. Instead of all this hoopla, argument and angst we could just wait until then to comment, critique and evaluate systems.

This is from Feb 2013 (that's this year):

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7898773566/cp-2013-interview-with-olympus-toshi-terada

Zero mention of a DSLR body.  That's not the only point Olympus has done this. Connect the dots.

No mention of any camera type. That's what's so mysterious about it. We'll all know in a few weeks. He does talk about the seperate needs of DSLR shooters and m4/3 adopters, ad Olympus's interest in satisfying those needs.

And does it strike you as very odd that the telephoto macro 4/3rd lenses that several people wanted, that is a hole missing in the line up was completely canned (which Olympus officially admitted) with no further development to the market?

More than a few people still want that lens. But Sigma filled that niche with the 105 and 150 macro lenses. How many could they sell?

Again, the question is, how profitable is the 4/3rds market? This is the point that it seems to me every 4/3rds lover avoids- how profitable can 4/3rds be? ...

In the recent past they have sold more m4/3 than E-5. Not surprising since the market for the E-5 is saturated. But they are dissatisfied with m4/3 sales - they are way off projections. That was here in a news story very recently.

You bet if 4/3rds could be made profitable it would all come back. Why did they leave it? ...

No one knows that they have left 4/3. A 3 year cycle for an E-x Pro body is normal for Olympus and most top of the line bodies from other manufacturers, including Canon and Nikon.

If Olympus exits the 4/3 system, how secure can you be in adopting m4/3?

You could be right about all these spec's in the 4/3rumor site. Or the spec's could be wrong. I could be right to believe in a future 4/3 DSLR. Or I could be wrong. We'll all know soon enough.

I try to be fair and honest and just stick to what we know, not what has been speculated. I also try to avoid personal attacks.

That's fine, me too!

Let's leave it on that note.

.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...l

Now that is funny!

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow