Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,628Gear list
Like?
Forced to go with Lightroom now
11 months ago

Well, after all my arguing for the Aperture camp, I'm now in a position that I have to migrate to LightRoom.

I've decided to ditch all my SLR gear, and downsize to a bridge camera. However, I have also picked a camera that still takes Raw images.

I eventually went for the Fuji HS50EXR, but only to find that it's impossible to process Raw images from this camera using Aperture. It simply doesn't recognise the RAF files that it creates. Adobe's DNG converter was a possible solution, or so I thought.

Initially I had thought it had worked OK, as it could now open the files, and few/edit them in the normal way. Not so though, as I noticed that it leaves the most horrendous lens distortion (which is corrected Ok in camera in thew JPGs of course).

I decided to try LR5, and find that does actually process the Raw images absolutely fine (even better than the Fuji Raw converter - which is supplied by SilkyPix).

So, unless Aperture gets it's much needed update very soon (like within the next couple of weeks), they will have lost another customer for any future versions of Aperture.

It's a shame, because Aperture still has the better UI, and management system, and it does have better speed here on this Mac Mini. But if it can't process my images correctly, or at all, then it'll be retired off my system.

Unless any others have had any success with Fuji Raw files?

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow