Why you love your DSLR

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,953Gear list
Like?
it's an amzing machine, and still...
In reply to paulj623, 8 months ago

the one that gives me the best results of all the cameras I've owned except MF and LF cameras---and it gives MF a run for its money.  It's a Sony A850, so no whopper FR or ISO's.  As digital cameras go, it's quite simple---that makes operation a breeze and that goes right down to the menus---DPR said the same thing when the A900 was reviewed (A850 is the only very slightly less adept sister).  Files are lovely, and that's the biggest deal for me, also WB is great.  Solid and dependable. Excellent ergonomics for me.

I miss live view and an articulating screen, especially on the project I'm doing right now which requires really critical manual focusing, and I'm not a fan of the Minolta hot shoe at all---although ADI flash is good.

That said, I love my NEX 7.  Am paying close attention to what Sony will be doing with mirrorless.  OVF's are lovely in their way, but I can live w/o them if it means not having to deal with mirror lock-up and a big chunk of optical glass on the top of my camera.  EVF's are more flexible, and w/o the mirror it seems higher FR's are also possible more easily.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow