Started Aug 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
spytrek007
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking to purchase dslr for minus temperatures
In reply to Allan Olesen, Aug 15, 2013

Allan Olesen wrote:

Temperature

A lot of us have used ordinary, non weather sealed DSLRs in -15 - -20 °C without any problems. I don't think I have ever heard of a DSLR which would not operate at that temperature.

I feel having a weather sealed camera is being more on the safe side just in case condensation gets into the camera body. I was considreing a sony a390 but now sort of determined to get the pentax k30 just to be on the safe side.

However what if the weather is extremely cold and dry? I don't think that in dry and cold conditions, there would any condensation. I read somewhere that extreme cold causes lcd displays to crack. How true is this?

Altitude

What is "high altitude" to you?

A lot of us use DSLRs on ski trips which is usually somewhere between 1500 and 3000 meters above sea level. I haven't heard on anyone having problems at these altitudes, though I sometimes have a slight problem with the on/off button of my camera which will get stuck, probably because of overpressure somewhere inside the camera. The same happens on airplane trips where the air pressure is comparable to an altitude of 2000-2400 meters.

I have another co-worker who was on the top of Mount Kilimanjaro, 5,895 meter above sea level. Most of the group brought cameras, but several of them stopped working at that altitude. Unfortunately, she couldn't tell which ones wouldn't function.

In the past, I have used a few compacts (canon sx110, olympus 800 uz) just over 6000m with no problem mainly because the weather conditions were quite good with the sun out.

I assume the cameras stopped working on Kilimanjaro is because the temperatures must have been quite cold.

spytrek007's gear list:spytrek007's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow