Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,728Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the swd 50-200 reason enough to go for the Oly platform ?? APS-c shooter
In reply to jagge, 8 months ago

jagge wrote:

Hey

So lots to think about. I am a former APS-c shooter and to be honest I prefer that sensor size or larger. BUT i have moved into m43 and consider a new m43. Now the omd is tempting but to weak on video and the smallish viewfinder is a nogo for me.

Now I then hear all those rumors about a more pro omd that could maybe use the 43 lenses and I start to wonder. Now the new sensors in m43 from sony seems to be great a capable of DR and sensitivity for proffesional print. As stated i do find larger sensors better BUT the compact nature of m43 is also a huge point for me.

Now I always did find that m43 lenses had a great weakpoint in the longer focal lengths, but now i discovered the 50-200 2.8-3.5 swd , and the ratings it gets seem to be very impressive to me AND the used prizes puts it in the expensive but realistic range for me. Cant say the same about the 100-400 L from Canon or the 70-200 2.8.

So now I really wonder if that lense and the 12-60 ditto would be reason enough for choosing this platform is the upcoming omd will support them. It seems that the combination of those highly acclaimed glass and the now much better sensors will outweigh a prosumer glass on the Nikon/Canon platform.

And the compact nature of the 50-200 is great as well off course.

What do you think of all this, i newer tried that glass i have to admit so curious about input.

Best wishes

Jakob

I would hold off on such a decision until any new camera is announced.  Right now it is just a cesspool of rumors, nothing to base a decision on.  I enjoy both of those lenses in my collection, and have not regretted buying them.  With the potential for a new body on the horizon, perhaps in the short term, bide your time for a bit.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow