Started Aug 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,227
Like?
SEL 55210 users - a question
Aug 15, 2013

Do I have an acceptable copy of the SEL 55210?

My copy of the SEL 55210 lens was delivered a few days ago, and I wonder if I should exchange it for another copy. I've probably been spoiled by my Canon L lenses and my SEL 1680Z.

From 55mm to about 70mm, my copy of the 55210 has good sharpness and acutance wide open, and excellent sharpness if I stop down one stop (example - at 70mm it's quite good at f 5.0 and excellent at f 5.6 or 6.3). From 100-135mm if I'm stopped down to f 6.3 acutance is good to very good. But as I approach 190, I have to stop down to at least 7.1 to get acceptable results. From 190 to about 200, I need to be at f 8.0 in order to get acceptable results. From 200 to 210, even f 8.0 is unreliable. I can post samples if anyone wants to see them, but probably you know what I mean from the descriptions.

If these results, in terms of f stop vs acutance, are typical of the lens, I can live with them until something better comes along. I do have the LA-EA2 of course, so A mount lenses are possible - but I do like the lighter weight and lower bulk of the E mount lenses.

Someone will point out that I could use a long prime with the LA-EA2. That's true, but dogs and children are in motion so constantly that I much prefer a zoom lens except for landscapes and other static subjects.

By the way - my "lens test", as fas as sharpness and acutance are concerned, is the famous "pet fur test"; if I can see good detail of the dog's or cat's fur at 66% on the monitor, I'm very happy.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow