Are you using any filters mostly to protect front glass of your e-mount lenses?

Started Aug 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
saintz
Regular MemberPosts: 477
Like?
Re: Are you using any filters mostly to protect front glass of your e-mount lenses?
In reply to ka-spot, Aug 15, 2013

Most NEX lenses (even the kit) include a hood, which works well for protecting the lens from a bump.

Many NEX lenses are quite sharp (requiring a high quality filter) and also rather inexpensive (making the filter less cost effective in comparison to the lens cost). Using a cheap filter will degrade quality. You'll want something like a Hoya to get good quality. Generally I would say not worth it to pay $75 for a high quality filter to put on a $200 (street price) lens like the SEL50. That lens is sharp enough to need a good quality filter and said filter will cost a good chunk of the lens itself. Putting a $75 filter on the very sharp $100 Sigma 30 would be silly, as you could just buy a new lens for almost the same price.

If you have one already, I would test with/without and see if you notice. If you have a lens that isn't that expensive, I wouldn't buy a filter and use the hood instead. On a more expensive lens like the SEL24 buying a high quality filter might make sense.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
i doNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow