Started Aug 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,139Gear list
Like?
Re: Reply to Windsprite
In reply to bobn2, Aug 15, 2013

bobn2 wrote:

britcam wrote:

Meanwhile I chose the Pentax route of IBIS, with a vast range of lenses available using the same K mount. As a package, it is now where I used to fondly imagine Oly might end up going .... My latest acquisition is a Pro quality FA 300/4.5, weighing just 930g and measuring just 16cm long. IQ on my AA free K5IIs, even at. ISO 1600, is remarkable..... And the primes .... well!

I think there is definitely still a market for a very high quality, high capability, small and compact DSLR system. The problem is that both the firms that did it have not quite managed to hit the mark. Pentax with the K5 hit the nail on the head for the camera, but their lens range doesn't quite hack it. Conversely Olympus has the lenses but consistently missed when it came to the cameras (at the top end). If one system had combined the two, it would have been successful, I'd think. Personally, I think a new top end Olympus DSLR could sell very well if very compact and with top end build, AF and frame rate, it would just need to be something else than an E-3 with yet another sensor.

-- hide signature --

Bob

As I posted in an earlier thread, whatever happens to the "Tweener" ....? At the time expeditions were very high, and the form was full of highly skilled shooters who were massively enthusiastic about continuing 4/3 development. The Tweener concept and timing would have been perfect for Oly, and would have secured a long term future for 4/3rds. I guess they got cold feet and decided that m4/3 was the sound business route. After that I detected a waning enthusiasm on this forum as folk began thinking they had been let down big time, and the main posters drifted away.

Pentax has shortcomings in certain areas, namely some outdated lens designs, and longer focal lengths missing in the line-up, eg beyond their 300mm f4. But their primes and macros are outstanding, as are their DA* lenses.  Their consumer kit lenses are WR, and FF is due within the year. The original K5 indeed had its problems, firstly with QC (sensor stains and iffy AF in low light, plus frequent SDM failure, which made buyers lose confidence)

From 2012 those problems were corrected, and the AA less K5IIs, which I now have, is as near faultless as I can imagine. Under Ricoh control, a more circumspect view seems to have been taken to broaden the range and quality of their offerings. A niche product of 4/3 lenses coupled with Pentax bodies would indeed have been a compelling argument.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-A1 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow