If Sony releases a FF Nex what will this do to X sales?

Started Aug 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201Gear list
Like?
Re: If Sony releases a FF Nex what will this do to X sales?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Aug 15, 2013

Hi Greg,

I'm watching and waiting too.  As you say, a lot will depend on price.  The RX1's  high price (and  more for the OVF) doesn't bode well for the FF NEX price.  I know a lot of the pricing game is about niche volume, the fact that it's the first compact FF and the fact that there's zero competition.  OTOH, surely the D600 or 6D are far more complex cameras and a price point closer to their BO price might give the FF NEX system better acceptance.  We'll just have to wait and see.

As far as native lenses go Sony Alpha Rumors have tipped a small Zeiss 35mm/2.8 like the old Contax design.  I haven't seen any other designs rumored, but you'd have to tip a 50mm and/or a 24mm and/or an 85mm sooner or later.  A number of posters have griped about the rumored 35mm/2.8 as being too slow.  Personally I'm absolutely fine with it as long as it offers superlative IQ.  There are many advantages to slower lenses.  Again, we'll have to see.

BTW despite all the hype over in the Sony Forum about the rumored FF NEX's  imminent release, the hard-nosed sceptics over there seem to think it's a bit further off - maybe 2014.

Patience,

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow