Why Are Pentax with Prime Selection Grabbing Some of Mirrorless Market?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,572
Like?
Re: Oh you value IQ so little.
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, 11 months ago

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

Richard wrote:

My question was, if Pentax was great, why isn't it mainstream and a main player in the field of photography.

That answer is simple: towards the end of the 20th century Canon and Nikon achieved market dominance for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with film/sensor size. In any market the dominant players aren't displaced: they remain dominant until something changes.

That something might be external (like the invention of digital and its effect on the film market) or internal (some sort of corporate stupidity). Until something like that happens C and N will remain dominant; as long as they do, every other make will remain niche.

All I said was it was possible that because Pentax did not have a full frame camera it was not taken seriously by many photographers including pros.

Obviously anything is possible. But even if Pentax had three levels of FF bodies and a host of suitable lenses it wouldn't alter the truth of my first paragraph.

What would you say about Sony who has recently entered the fray. They surpassed all the other non dominant brands and are making sensors for Nikon and others. They have FF, DSLR, mirrorless. They are moving up the ladder and maybe even someday displace Nikon. Their market share is growing, Pentax and the other brands are still niche market as Sony becomes more dominant

Cars, Chevy Ford Dodge. Along comes Toyota.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow