Upgraded Mac Mini powerful enough for Photoshop & downloading large image files?

Started Aug 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jayfire124
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Re: Feedback on maxed out October 2012 MacMini
In reply to Ralf B, Aug 14, 2013

Ralf B wrote:

In May this year I got a late 2012 MacMini Quad i7 2.6GHz with 1 TB / 5400min stock HD and 4GB as refurb. Immediately replaced the HD with a Samsung 480 Pro SSD (256GB) and maxed the RAM up to 16GB from non-Apple source following the instruction videos on OWC's and iFixit's web sites.

The Mini boots in 11 seconds. The SSD yields 520MB/sec read and write. The Mini drives a 27" Dell U 2711 via a TB - to - MiniDisplayPort adapter cable with no hesitation.
I use Aperture - which does not need a dedicated GPU - and my picture library of 350GB on an external WD RAID 0 via Firewire800 - loads in 4 seconds. Processing the RAWs from my 24MP Sony a900 is a blast compared to my late 2007 Santa Rosa MacBookPro.

Cheers,
Ralf
www.ralfralph.smugmug.com

I did the same thing however I am not happy using LR4.4. Don't get me wrong, everything loads super fast and it imports and exports large files from a Canon 5D MKIII with speed however I don't want to be waiting for the finished image to render once I have done some post processing. I still have to wait when I am re viewing a catalog and am not pleased. You pay good money for what seems a fast system but still have to wait for a final image to render when you wish to review it in the Develop Module.

I love using LR4.4 don't get me wrong but......I have had my rant. Sort it out Adobe

Jayfire124's gear list:Jayfire124's gear list
Canon EOS 5D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YesNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow