If Sony releases a FF Nex what will this do to X sales?

Started Aug 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,815Gear list
Like?
Re: If Sony releases a FF Nex what will this do to X sales?
In reply to 57even, Aug 14, 2013

57even wrote:

carlk wrote:

57even wrote:

carlk wrote:

57even wrote:

Samaistuin wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

It should all be all about image quality and performance.

For me I am not convinced full frame offers that much of an advantage anymore. IQ out of the X-Trans APS-C size sensor is ridiculously good and low light/high ISO performance is amazing. It is rivaling full frame on many levels.

If Fuji stay true to their roots, focusing on core image quality and performance, then I don't think they have anything to worry about short/medium term.

I have a feeling Sony will come to market with anything they feel will sell at the time. Mind you, this is certainly not a flawed modus operandi for any company but the clear and distinct advantages of full frame are simply no longer really there now Fuji have their X-Trans APS-C sensor. I know many will not agree but that's the way I see it.

Now, imagine for a split second that Fuji came up with an FF X-Trans.
I'm not sure you would still go with an APS-C sized sensor without any hesitation.

Sure I would. I already have a FF camera, I wanted something small and good. Whatever a FF Xtrans would look like it would still require much larger lenses and I would have to start a whole new collection... for what? Another stop of DR?

Same here. I wouldn't jump on the bandwagon if Sony or Fuji makes a MF either. I think it's fair to say the sweet spot of sensor format is slowly moving away from FF and toward the aps-c now.

For all practical purposes I think APSC has become "good enough" for 90% of amateur photographers. What pros use is up to them of course, but I seldom meet any than waste money.

Perhaps even pros may find aps-c more than good enough for most of their works.

http://zackarias.com/for-photographers/gear-gadgets/fuji-x100s-review-a-camera-walks-into-a-bar/

http://billfortney.com/?p=8732

If people like those think Fuji aps-c is good enough for them what am I to complain about?

Pros will use whatever the job needs, and more often than not rent anything that's only going to be used now and again.

Clearly for the kind of work these guys do, the Fujis are all you need. Just like the old Leica M series was all most photojournalists needed for several decades.

Amateurs buy camera mostly to impress himself and people around him.  The result is not always consequential to them.  Some wedding pros do think professional looking cameras that impress the clients can mean better business but photojournalists don't need to impress anyone other than with pictures they took.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow